11/14/2006

A Driver's License; renewal vs. extention

I did not know the difference between extention and renewal of driver's license. The concept of both terminologies sound so similar that I look them up as the same functions.
Though they differ greatly, I made no distinction in using both of them.

DMV in general issues a regular DL for a five-year term. The license expires on your birthday in the year shown on the license. It is against the law to drive after your license expires.
DMV sends a renewal notice to your address of record about two months before your license expires.

However, in my case, the DL did not first come to me even until 6 weeks after passing the road test. I somehow got the DL whose expiring date was 12/9/06 three days after requesting the DL by showting a DMV worker my social security number.

Yet, it was not enough. I needed to extend my DL(driver's license)'s valid period because my departure for Korea was set up one week after expiring date of DL.

For prolongation, I went to DMV twice. In first visiting, I told the staff sitting at information desk that I wanted to extend my DL and then, she looked puzzled and wanted to looked at my DL. Taking a look at my DL, she amended my statement from extention to renewal. I never thought renewal and extention were different so I was a little bit embarrassed.

The passport was a requisite for renewal of DL(of foreigners), yet I forgot to bring the passport from home. I could not help visiting DMV again with my passport two days later. Then, without any problems, DMV issued my new DL whose expiring date was prolonged up to 2010. It costed no money.

By the way, on the way back to my house, I was wondering when drivers extend their DL at DMV. I scrambled to search for it from the DMV site of CA. It says;license extension. If you are away from California (up to one year), you may request a free one-year extension before your driver license expires. You include your name, driver license number, birth date, California residence address, and your out-of-state address. It is still unclear, though. ㅠ.ㅠ

No comments: