11/28/2006

A Thanks giving party

Last Thursday was the Thanks giving Holiday that I met first in the United States. Different people do different things they like during holiday;shopping, long-distance trips, and the thanksgiving party.

Since this Thanksgiving was the first and the last holiday in San Diego, I did not want to waste my scarce time. I loved to take a stroll around neighboring towns as long as I could. Nevertheless, I had to spend two whole days packing up my stuff in order to get them send to Denver. ㅠ.ㅠ

However, one of my friends here had us over Thanksgiving dinner party so I was lucky to have an unforgettable dinner with many people of various-colored eyes. Thank you, Nancy!!!!

The party got started at 3:00pm, yet I made it a little bit earlier. Since I heard that it was not polite to get in the host house earilier than scheduled time, I drove around her neighbourhood to pass away time. Observing her neighbours, I again felt their houses were different depending on the land-lords' tastes. All had their own unique styles and patterns. Every house was one-stroied house. There were no high-rise bulidings or apartments. Dewelling sites and business areas were absolutely seperated because of strict Housing policy in CA.

Getting in her house at 3:00pm, we were welcomed by Nancy with a big hug and smile. Her house was full of a pleasant and tasty smell. Her husband, Gary, greeted us with tough handshaking. ^^ We were the first arriving guest. I heard that the number of guest for that dinner would be 19 including 6 kids. ^^ So many! I was a little bit nervous.

Their dinner went forward with three steps:appetise, main dinner, and sweet dessert.

Appetise was wine and cheese. We were served lots of cheese, but I did not remember all names of them. Pretty soon, shrimp cocktail was coming to the table. It was so yummy. Nancy let me know where I could the sauce for cocktail. Jason, my first son, was fond of it.

We all sat at the table and began our dinner. Nancy prepared two kinds of soups; potato and squash. Honestly speaking, I did not know what squash was, so I chose the potato soup that sounded familiar. Almost every one had squash, though. Maybe, squash must be more tasty.

Next, quite big plates were passed round among people - A couple of days later, Nancy said that handing the plates round was American family dinner style. Then, indivuduals took out of some from those plates. The dishes were roasted turkey(super staple dish for Thanksgiving), greeen beans, apple sauce, mashed potatoes topped with cranberry or gravy sauce, .....Ah~ I do not know american food. I have to get their names from Nancy next time. Anyway, they all were wonderful, tender, and super super great.

Turkey was truly unfamiliar to me, so I was afraid of feeling disgusting of turkey. It tasted like chicken, but not exactly same. It was less greasy than chicken. Flavor was better than I thought. Nancy told me that it took 3 days to cook turkey. Oh~ It looked very simple but not so easy procedure.

After dinner, we again had a talk with each other;however, I mostly tried to listen to them, catch up with them, and grasp their topics. ㅠ.ㅠ Not fluent enough to talk without any difficulty yet.

Their topics were endless and were bouncing here and there. I could not helped remaining with saying nothing, because I could not know their topics and interests that they were sharing. They were loud but delightful, getting together and talking each other a lot. They did not care about gender, age, and positions.

Meanwhile, I got to know they loved TV show. Korean TV shows are getting better, but most of them are still vain and idle. It is not too much to say that America is paradise for TV shows. Hundreads of TV shows!!! Each show is simillar but it seems to effect many public people. They want to achieve the goodness, the virtue through the shows. Interesting! Next time I am going to talk about american TV programs.

The another interesting fact was that they love to drink wine. From the beginning, they kept drinking wine and champagne to the end. Talking must be another their relish taken with wine.^^

I was enviable because they looked equal regardless of ages and gender. Of course, they probably have something unfair, but they are clearly more advanced than us in terms of the relationship between family and friends.

Ta-da!! The finale, dessert. Sweet potato cheess cake, pumpkin pie, and some baking(I did not rememer what they called it) brougt by one guest were waiting on the table. I liked sweet potato cheess cake most. Oh~ coffee! Coffee should not be missed. Coffee came at last. Actually, before coffee, we went out for taking a walk for 15 min. All men washed the dishes until all grown up female came back from pleasant strolling. ^^

I prepared for the Korean traditional lamp for my friend in advance. She really loved it. American people could not live without lamp. ^^

After dessert time, I said good-bye to them and came home almost at 10pm. Lasting 7 hours dinner! Whow~~ It was the longest dinner that I had ever. I've never met all of them except for my friend, but they were all helping us feel comfort. They all were open-minded. In particular, Nancy showed concerns throughout the dinner; because I was an only foreigner, she was worrying whether I was not so much likely to get involved in their talking. It was true. I was struggling along all the time, but I was really content with that wondeful dinner and people. A valuable expierence.

No comments: