12/04/2006

First story of Lost & Found

I am very frequently absent-minded;therefore, I lost something a lot. I've lived in the United States for about a year, and I lost my wallet twice. Two times for a year, precisely, 10 months. To my surprise, however, they were safely returned to me.

It happened when I went to the Angel Stadium in LA to see the world classic baseball game. The game was a quarterfinal between Korea and Japan. Actually, I had no interest in the baseball. For my sister's husband who visited us at that time, I booked the tickets as a souvenir of U.S. tour.

It was a tight match, so we could not take it easy until the bottom of the ninth inning. The audience in the ballpark were nearly 100% Koreans. We were filled with feverish excitement, cheering Korean National Baseball players.

When it reached the peak of the game, a couple of spectators sitting in front of us brought some snacks and drinks from the booth. The food gave off a sweet smell. My son, Jason, told he felt empty. Putting the wallet out of the bag, I handed it over to my sister to say "Please, get us some food from the store". She was displeased with my asking. All of sudden, a Korean pitcher allowed a hit to the batter and just then, almost every rooters jumped up and roared with anger. We also rose to our feet to see what happened over the ground. And, the wallet was forgotten from my mind.

Our Korean team won narrowly after all. We were very excited with our victory and had a talk about the game repeatedly. Some said they thought it was over when Korean catcher made a mistake, resulting in one score of Japan team. Our conversations kept going on all the way to the parking lot.

Since it took 2 hours to get to San Diego from LA, we scrambled to take a ride in a car. Before starting a car, I felt inclined to make sure everything was OK. Oh~ my wallet. A fear grazed across my mind. "WHERE IS MY WALLET?" In respond to my nervous question, my sister said she saw me putting my wallot into the front pocket of hood-shirt. Desperately, my pocket was empty.

From that time I realized that I lost my wallot, I also lost my consciousness and got distracted. "What should I do?" "What if someone use my credit card?" "When I lost it?"

It might be the time when I left my seat twice while the game went on;the bathroom and the lounge. Right! Surly, it was that moment.

I went crazy and back to the stadium, where was much corrupted by sweeping and trash. I bent over to examine carefully the underneath seat that I took. No wallet. I was heading for the restroom, looking forward to see my wallet. No wallet,again.

One of staff took me to the lost & found office, but no wallet was turned in there. I became driven to despair. Giving up looking for it there, I turned to the parting lot, where my friends were waiting for me.

One of my friends gave me the emergency call of BANK OF AMERICA, which was provided with Korean interpreter service. To make things worse, They were not able to seek my banking information without correct account number. The number was on the tip of my tongue. It did not occur to my mind. The operator just repeated my account number was needed to treat my problem. Gosh!

The way back to my house was super super terrible;worry,impatient,irritated, and anxious,itself.

I regreted my rash action. I regreted jumping over high to see the game. I even regreted going to the restroom. I regreted taking my wallet out of my bag. I regreted sittig just behind someone who brought some food in the middle of game. I regreted spectating thw World Classic Baseball Game. I regreted booking the tickets. Endless regreting! It was no use of regretting.

The settlement of losting was to start from the begining:credit card, Driver's License/Korea Driver's licence, Library membership, Vons card, Golf membership card, UCSD printer card, and so on. I had a hard time settling everything.

Two weeks later, I found a indistinct parcel was in the mailbox. I stripped off the wrapping paper. It was my wallot. Everything was that way it was before I lost it. A note popped out of the wallet. It read : She waited for a while to meet me in front of the main gate. She sent this wallet from the post office by using my money.

When something that I thought I lost and never find it again came to me, It was just like finding my other self. It was like reuniting my old friend. My belonging came back to me finally. I am a kind of home to them.

From time to time, I pray God that someone anonymous who picked up/returned my wallet lives happily and successfully though I've never meet her before.

No comments: