2/20/2007

Santa Fe (1)





Santa Fe, in Spanish "Holy Faith", is the capital of New Mexico. In full form, it is La Villa Real de la Santa Fé de San Francisco de Asís. In English, Royal City of the Holy Faith of St. Francis of Assisi. Heading for Taos after staying two night at Santa Fe, we met the St. Francis of Assisi, which was frequently used as objects for printing by Georgia O'Keeffe, an American woman painter, and other artists. When we looked around the church, an old man who looked like a manager opened the church for us. He was so kind to explain some history of this church. Sorrowfully, wretched English again made us miserable. What did he say? I just nodded my head because I did not want to disappoint him. No questions as usual. Ah~






Santa Fe is like a mixture because it was built on the basis of culture co-existence of Native American, Spanish, and the United States. Most of buildings were built / transformed in adobe style, but different church styles are also seen. It might be because Spain, in early time of their occupation, tried to enlighten and educate the Native through the religion. As a result, the oldest church in the United States was erected in here, Santa Fe. The picture in the first row is the oldest church in the United States. The next is St. Francis Cathedral and a Navajo woman called first as St. The last one is Loretto Chapel and the decorated gate/ornaments just by the church.





The first thing we did was to visit the Georgia O'Keeffe museum. Honestly speaking, who is Georgia O'Keeffe? I do not know her. Ahead of our trip, while searching the activities recommended over the net, I found that Georgia O'Keeffe was always included from the compulsory-kind of- lists to do. Watching her work was our first choice we decided. Aggressively, I got in the museum to take a lot of photo, but a security guard refused to get my camera to have a look over O'keeffe's art. My camera had the destiny to be put into the locker. They kept strict guard against the enemy, no, all visitors. In particular, a guest who is accompanied by kids. Twice, I got twice cautions;away from the wall or do not let your kids touch the work. "Relax. See? I did my best." I muttered to myself in a very low voice.

Getting out of the museum, we strolled to the Plaza, where was 5 minutes away from the museum. The palace of governors was attracting our eyes. Approximately, as you can see from the shots, 25 -30 Native Pueblos were selling their hand-made jewelry, and tourists looked down them to examine carefully. I wanted to get one, but I missed the chance because of my flowing timidity. The Native American looked very similar to Asian. They might be originally from the Asia or around. Maybe.






The many shops for traditional costume, vessels, and jewelry were spread around the city. In addition, a lot of adobe architectures seemed to show where Santa Fe was from. The above house in blue gate is the oldest house in Santa Fe, but was closed so I could not look inside. Another grand building might be Inn and Spa at LORETTO right next to LORETTO church.

2 comments:

aRio said...

Those are pretty pictures!
It looks cold out there from the people's outfits. Is it close from your place?
Santa Fe is one of the cities I want to visit before going back to my country :)

JUDY said...

Dear Rico...
Colorado is located in the North of New Mexico. As we drove south, the weather was getting mild. Even we had to take off our overcoats during daytime. Santa Fe is very small, quiet, and not crowded. We enjoyed it.