4/28/2007

Denver Downtown Tour (1) - light rail train


Eventually, my dream came ture ; walking tour in downtown. ^^ To tell you the truth, I get so timid when I try to do something new. It is because I feel awkward with someones who are different from me. My clumsy English could be also another reason that keeps me from getting to meet people.

Last Friday, the next day from the my son's small concert, I treated myself to start my walking tour for downtown. I made up my mind to take a light rail train in order to get downtown. No driving! It was a big adventure for me to take a train on my own. My husband was supposed to go in company with me, but that day morning, he told me that he changed his mind so he would study at home. I hate him. ^^

In Seoul, there are no transportations like the light rail trains which are moving within one city. If I have to choose similar ones for comparison, it would be the subway. I am going to arrange the sameness and the difference of two system in a row.

In fact, the lines of light trains are so simple compared with our subway routes. While we have more than 10 lines, the train lines are about 7(From A to G). With more lines, our subway has more stops. The map is so complicated. It looks like spider's web which is entangled.

First, the point in the same. Between some RTD buses and light train stops, passangers can transfer with valid tickets. Those stops are close each other for the convenience of passengers.

The next, the things that are different. The light rail trains run only on the ground, while on the other our subway generally operates under the ground because of the limited land.

At every light rail train stop, there are no ticket gates or ticket inspectors. There is only a ticket bending machine that is programed well. It is a shocking. Just a sign saying "play fare" inside the trains encourages us to buy the ticket. Once in a while, a ticket inspector or a train securiy officer goes around to check the ticket, said my husband. In most cases, we need to pass the ticket gates (barriers) to take a subway. It is huge different.

Each stop for both directions such as north and south stands right opposite. To get the opposite direction train, just turn back. That's all. It means they are that much close.

The fare of light rail trains is much more expensive than that of our subway. It might be more than double.


No comments: