4/01/2007

A photo of a criminal (or a susptect) in Media

My husband subscribed to the Denver Post, the daily newspaper, about two months ago to know much of the world. Practice to read the daily news written in English was the actual intention of taking a newspaper.

The newspaper brings us just now happening during the last night or previous, I could see what are occurring in the world at home, lying full length on the bed. Since a bunch of technical / current terms are used to describe at many sections, it takes me much time to read it through. Although getting it through, I could not often comprehend it thoroughly.

By the way, let's back to the point I want to talk about. The newspaper sometimes carries us very cruel and gruesome murder cases or tragic accidents. Every moment I read the murder cases, I found that the photo of a criminal( or suspect) was posted along the news.

At first, I thought it was those of victims because I'd never ever watched the photo of criminals in the newspaper or TV in Korea. Only in case the suspect is not caught, the police distributes identikit pictures of the fleeing agent till he/she is arrested. Except for this, the media hardly show their faces to the public. While a criminal is taken to the polic, the police escort him with his face hidden in jackets / baseball hats all the way. Posting the criminals' personal imformation over the net is so contraversial in Korea. We are in the process of collecting various opinions.

Unlike Korea, I saw the criminal pictures many times from the media. Why those pictures are exposed to the public without any covering? Do they present those bad guys pictures from the beginning? Otherwise, what was the cause to make it happen?

No comments: