1/07/2008

Liquor

Korean representative liquor is probably Soju, the hard liquor from rice. It sells at the grocery stores and the restaurants in Korea, very easy to access. However, the juvenility under 20 ages are prohibited from purchasing the alcohol. After the Youth Protection law enacted, parents could not get their children to go errand for the liquor. It is illegal.

The United States are same as we are in terms of prohibition of sale liquor to the youth. In San Diego, I had often been asked to show ID when buying the beer or some. In fact, though I look mature enough to buy them, they were always requring the ID. It was somewhat unfamiliar to me becasue we are never asked the ID if we look our ages in Korea. I'd never flashed my ID at the grocery stores to buy the liquor in Korea. Unusual experiences.

Now, I'd like to talk about the different policies of liquor sale in different cities. In San Diego, we usually bought them at the grocery stores like Vons, Costco, and so on. As liquor could be bought at the grocery stores, there might be a few liquor shops.
Colorado state has different policy of that, though. We could get them only at the liquor shops. When I got out of the wine for cooking the other time of last year, I went to the King-supoore to get it in Denver. I remember I went around the store several times to find the wine. But, no wines. I came home without the wine, thinking what's wrong. I got to know different rules about liquor slaes later. It is why we have a lot more of liquor shops in Colorado than San Diego.

Secondly, the liquor shops close on Sunday in Colorado. To get the wine on Sunday, I have to go up to Wyoming state. It was a joking from the clerk from the Whole Food Store. I guess the liquor shops open 7 days a week in Wyomingm, not like Colorado. Anyway, I often have some friends for dinner on Sunday and not to get into troble, I have to buy the liquor before Sunday, but always I forget the liquor close on Sunday. After all, we've had to proceed the dinner without the wine or Korean soju.

No comments: