When I was in bible studying, I got a call from my husband, saying that he needed me to see my son's school principal because the principal wanted to talk with us. Calling from a principal! Oh my! what's happening? My son did something bad?
The reason was that my son draw a picture during the Math class, which one guy was stabbing the other guy with a sword. The principal wanted to talk together with me, my son, and his ELS teacher about what's he done. The ELS teacher tried to defend my son and make my son understood how bad drawing a picture in class. Actually, being with the principal was not fun.
I've heard a lot that any actions related to the violence are forbidden in school. Nevertheless, I was a little bit embarrassed with their sensitive reaction to something relevant to the violence. They seemed to be sick and tired of school violence. They make an effort to prevent any violence in advance. Therefore, they do not allow all students to do something which might give rise to another violence. Even drawing.
In Korea, many boy students probably draw gun / sword pictures once at school. Even so, we do not think all of them are so violent that they should be punished. We think children are full of curiosity. Consecutive behavior should be under the supervison, though. Still, my son draw once something bad and was called to the office. It is strict, I think. Different! I got to know the American culture little by little.
2 comments:
그래서 어떻게 됐나요?
전번 조승희사건 때문에 학교측에서 좀 예민하게 반응하는 거 같네요.
걱정하셨겠어요.
Yes, that could be one of reasons.
Different policy comes with different culture.
I get to know how much they are afraid of exposuring their students to the potential danger. The principal wanted us to know that my son was drawing something violence.
We discussed what we could do for my son and listened to my son what he would do and what he would not. They let my son participate in our meeting to take his idea.
The point is that they think three bodies-students, teachers, and parents- should work on together for students' successiful school lives. It is a good system.
Post a Comment