There are a few customs or culture that I am a bit surprised with in the United States. Food is the one.
First of all, countless canned-foods at the grocery store stunned me. Vegetables, fruits, meat, and fish are canned. Even so are soups. They seem to try to put every ingredient(including some food) into the small cans.
Also, the next suprising is hundreds and thousands of ready-to eat foods! They are freezed, but alreay cooked foods so we could eat them just with 3-5 minutes micro-oven heat. Sounds very convenient, doesn't it? When I set my eyes on them, I was so glad to see a lot of foods that I have never ever tasted in Korea. But, I realized that they are too many a little later on. I was overwhelmed by their various and numerous instant foods. Excessive! After all, the TV-dinner is not my cup of tea.
At one time, I saw the article talkig about the increasing social problem, the obesity. And, I observed a lot those who are much beyond the average weight. As a result, they are extremely careful about the food, in partucular, the Fat. At first, I thought the American must be allegic to fat, for almost every food are fat- reduced. All foods are labled like this, 2% fat reduced or fat free. I do not usually give much hoot whether or not this is a fatty diet at the grocery store because our Korean food are not that much oily. As I've not cared about the fat, it was weird to see fat free stuff everywhere.
Some do their best to reduce the fat, while others do not care about them and, without any hesitation, pick up the very greasy reday-to eat food at the grocery's refrigerator. Irony!
I just talk about what I 've seen around and have no ideas about what their practical meals look like. Still, apparently, they do spend less time on cooking than us, considering all above.
No comments:
Post a Comment