12/19/2007

Wildlife in neighborhood

In Korea, it is not common to see the wildlife around the neighbor. What are familiar to us, for the most part, are the birds; swallow, sparrow, magpie, and pigeon. Even at my hometown, a small town where has been not that much industialized, wiledlife were rare things to be observed around us. If I remember correctly, the zoo might give me only experience of watching wildlifes close to our inhabitation.

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of wildlives in the United States for about 2 years. At first, to see rabbits sitting on the grass and running across to the bush was the marvulous that I could not believe my eyes because rabbits and squirrels have been regarded as being seen only at the woods in Korea. It is not a wonder any more to see squirrels and rabbits at the front yard of my house. They are parts of our neighbors.

This early year, I saw a coyote at the Washington park. I rubbed my eyes for a while and frowned to see it well , crept to it close to make sure what I was looking at was the coyote. That was it. Oh my god! I pulled out the camera and rushed to take a picture of it. Coyote in a neighbor park? No way!









This afternoon, my children exclaimed geese were wandering around the house. It was true. 15-20 geese were walking down around the apartment, and they might look for some food. My approching close to them for taking snaps, they flew away to other complex buildings soon. In fact, I often saw them at the golf fields but it was the first to see them before my house.

I have often told my husband it is blessing to live gentle wildlives around us. Even if we want the wildlives to inhabit close to us, it is actually out of the question in Korea because of various reasons. In all ages, Koreans have thought of wildlives as being remoted away from our inhabitation. Living in harmony with wildlives is somewhat unacquaintance.

No comments: