8/18/2008

Audio books



Enhancement of children literate must be one of goals that school and parents pursue. For this, various ways and aids are provided to children at school and home. Going to the library in neighborhood has been seen as a good activity to do with kids. Like other parents, I make a rule to go to the library with my kids once a week to borrow some books or DVDs. There are lots of parents and kids at the library indeed. During summer, some reading programs that are designed to encourage kids to read books a lot are posted at front center of the library. I should have got my son signed for those programs this year. Now, I'd like to talk about audio books that are accessible with various ranges from Mystery to Fantasy novels. Are they really effective? My answer is yes.

It was no wonder that I was, at first, indifferent from audio books that were unfamiliar to me. The Bible was the only audio book I had ever had in Korea. What are they all about? What for? Who is going to listen to books instead of reading them. It seemed a nonsense to me as the way to get us used to reading books. However, I was wrong that it turned out audio books might work in some ways after having several tries for lisening to them.

Of late, after I heard that audio books were good to let kids get interested in books, I have begun to take a close look at audio books. At first, we have tried out easy-levels, and found it very fun and interesting to listen to them. Words that we heard are memorable and retained possibly longer. Furthermore, a while ago, it happened that I found an extraordinary device. It was an audio book, but not in CD or Tape recorded. Curiously enough, it looked like a small box with pictures on it. Tapping two to three times on it, I tried to figure out what it was. It was definitely an audio book of Narnia. Holy cow! A specialized audio book in the form of a little box? Incredible! I think I could carry it anywhere even while I am working out outside. Portable and convenient. I will be a devotee of trying audio book for improvement of English.

No comments: