Today is first day of school for my kids. Wow! Unlike Korea starting a new academic year in March, it opens late August in the United States. Around 2 weeks before school get started, all school send a letter out to students' to notice some information like school calendar, news, school supplies, and so on. The night before first day, schools hold an open house to get teachers and parents(and kids) to meet each other. Parents usually go dropping off school supplies in their kids' classroom.


I'd like to touch on school supplies. Korean schools usually do not ask us to buy a whole year school supplies at once. Rather, we buy them as occasions demand. Interestingly, all school demanded supplies look get standardized here while Korean supplies vary in colors, sizes, and designs. Some supplies are so specific that I find it difficult to buy what are exactly said. Maybe, it isn't a big deal to native speakers and they know well about what they mean. However, I always never get some of them on the list without helps from a staff at the shop. Tricky. For example, let's talk about a pencil. It looks that they use only #2 pencils at school. We do not care what pencils you are going to use at school in Korea. It is up to preference and fondness. In addition, #2 pencils all are alike in all way regardless of where they are produced. I was confused a bit with this uniformity because I thought the supplies of the Unites States would be going to be more diversified. Besides, I went around school supply corner for a while in search of #2 pencil first. Like I said, as Korean students are rarely asked to bring specific and definite pencils to school, I thought # 2 pencil must be very special pencils to use at school. Look! It has its own number on it" But, it is just an ordinary pencil. Funny.
Here are the supply list for our kids' school (http://www.psdschools.org/schools/bennett/information/supply.aspx) :
KINDERGARTEN
1 pair scissors (small metal Fiskar type)
1 box crayons (24 ONLY)
1 box tissues (large for classroom use)
1 small school box
Back pack or book bag
12 #2 pencils
1 set colored pencils
1 set washable markers (Classic colors)
8 glue sticks (clear NOT purple)
1 bottle of glue
1 set Expo dry erase markers
1 - 2” white binder with a clear plastic sleeve
1 dry erase eraser
1 box "Easy-zipper" gallon bags
1 ream Xerox 20-lb paper
SIXTH GRADE
#2 pencils for the year
2 glue sticks
1 LARGE box tissues
Protractor & compass
1 pointed scissors
2 pens (blue or black)
5 pocket folders
1 ruler (standard/metric)
2 erasers (large)
1 box thin tipped markers
1 ream Xerox 20lb paper
Calculator (optional)
1 hand-held pencil sharpener (optional)
Mrs. Saunders' Class
looseleaf paper
5-7 thick college rule spiral notebooks
2 dry-erase low fume markers


I'd like to touch on school supplies. Korean schools usually do not ask us to buy a whole year school supplies at once. Rather, we buy them as occasions demand. Interestingly, all school demanded supplies look get standardized here while Korean supplies vary in colors, sizes, and designs. Some supplies are so specific that I find it difficult to buy what are exactly said. Maybe, it isn't a big deal to native speakers and they know well about what they mean. However, I always never get some of them on the list without helps from a staff at the shop. Tricky. For example, let's talk about a pencil. It looks that they use only #2 pencils at school. We do not care what pencils you are going to use at school in Korea. It is up to preference and fondness. In addition, #2 pencils all are alike in all way regardless of where they are produced. I was confused a bit with this uniformity because I thought the supplies of the Unites States would be going to be more diversified. Besides, I went around school supply corner for a while in search of #2 pencil first. Like I said, as Korean students are rarely asked to bring specific and definite pencils to school, I thought # 2 pencil must be very special pencils to use at school. Look! It has its own number on it" But, it is just an ordinary pencil. Funny.
Here are the supply list for our kids' school (http://www.psdschools.org/schools/bennett/information/supply.aspx) :
KINDERGARTEN
1 pair scissors (small metal Fiskar type)
1 box crayons (24 ONLY)
1 box tissues (large for classroom use)
1 small school box
Back pack or book bag
12 #2 pencils
1 set colored pencils
1 set washable markers (Classic colors)
8 glue sticks (clear NOT purple)
1 bottle of glue
1 set Expo dry erase markers
1 - 2” white binder with a clear plastic sleeve
1 dry erase eraser
1 box "Easy-zipper" gallon bags
1 ream Xerox 20-lb paper
SIXTH GRADE
#2 pencils for the year
2 glue sticks
1 LARGE box tissues
Protractor & compass
1 pointed scissors
2 pens (blue or black)
5 pocket folders
1 ruler (standard/metric)
2 erasers (large)
1 box thin tipped markers
1 ream Xerox 20lb paper
Calculator (optional)
1 hand-held pencil sharpener (optional)
Mrs. Saunders' Class
looseleaf paper
5-7 thick college rule spiral notebooks
2 dry-erase low fume markers
1 comment:
Nice post..! I really like the kindergarten school supplies list.
Post a Comment