10/11/2006

No. (1) Placards & Banners


Every country has a different social environment according to its unique custom and history, so we can not dare to judge which one is more advanced. However, there are surly good examples that our country follows:a legal restriction on the advertisement.

The regulation on the placards/banners in the public is very stringent in San Diego. I did not notice it first, but I happened to figure out that no placards/banners were not seen anywhere. Even in the University(UCSD), I could not seek for any kinds of placards. From that moment, I carefully observed how they put up posters in the public.

I came to know the forms of placards/banners are somewhat different before long. A placards in Korea is a big rectangle clothing, being hung in two poles. It has various colors and pattens;moreover, these placards are spreded all over the cities. We have many traders who are engaged with making and selling placards to people. We can not think of the advertisement without placards. Plenty of placards are speaded all over our cities. It becomes worse in the season of election. We can easily take a look at placards scattering and hanging everywhere. Even fliers about loaning or seeking for the roommates were attached on the electric poles or benches at the parks. Some local governments hire some street cleaners who are only in charge of taking off those illegal fliers, yet we have still a long way to go.

But then, in San Diego, I've never seen any big placards who were used so much for advertising in Korea. The placards they think of are just bulletin boards or posters. They are not big enough to keep the traffic signs off on the street. Even the case of advertisements such as leasing/selling houses, an automobile on sale, and etc., any placards were not hanging on the street. Instead of seeing placards, at the corner of streets, I witnessed lots of boys- rarely middle aged gentlemen- holding bill boards looking like the surfing board. It was really weird to me.

In some areas, the house owners who want to sell his property can place a short pole with triangle-shaped flag on its top in front yard;on the other hand, some residents should buy permit to place the banner from theri competent administrative offices.

They have obscure reasons to get the city clean and tidy;it is not accomplished by itself. The idea is that the administrative office are applying the very strict criteria for the protection of their communities, and people
observe and abide by the rules.

I know we also have the rule that regulates an outdoor billboard, but our government more relaxed the limitation of outside board than this country's. I do not mean to blame our government for loosening the restriction, but extreme removal of ban is also not good for our environment. I am just thinking that we should consider the nature and future first in order not to spoil our cities' landscapes.

2 comments:

JUDY said...

Is it illegal to upload the photo without permission from its origin? Actually, that photo was from the internet. I want to make it clear that people whose names are seen in that photo are not directly related with my writing.

Cherrie said...

Generally, people don't mind if you cite the source. :)