I have lost my wallet twice in San Diego, and every moment the wallet returned to me, untouched. I thought I was very lucky to take back my wallet two times.
This morning, my husband came into the house, very frustrated and distracted. "I think I lost my wallet at the gas station" he said. "What?"....I yelled.
After taking kids to school, he went to the gas station to fill it up. Just at that time, his cell phone rang. He was absorbed in talking over the phone and he did not realized that he left his wallet by a lubricator. Around after 5 min. to start his car, he got to know he lost his wallet. So, he came back to the gas station in a hurry, where he guess his wallet was left. He must pray and hope that nobody took it. However, why do I am working on this blog if the wallet was there. No wallet!
Everyone is very upset when he/she loses valuables. So my husband is. In the wallet are there a credit card, Korean credit card, a student identification card, his social security number, and some cash. He grumbled that why he withdrew over $200 yesterday. Usually, he did not carry cash at all except for small money for lunch or coffee. It was more regrettable to him.
Surprisingly, he found his wallet. How? Someone who took the wallet from the gas station called a friend of my husband's whose business card was inside wallet. When my husband was quite at a loss what to do, that friend gave him a call. "Do you lose your wallet?" This question sounded like the music to my husband's ear. Frown was gone and smile came back. We presented a few Korean souvenior to someone who picked it up in token of gratitude.
My husband and I lost the wallet three time in total in the United States, and they were all returned without any touch in the least. We are lucky enough to get it back? Or people here are honest and upright? The conclusion we make is that American are credible and believable so far to us. When we had an accident in foreign country, if the result was reasonable, the image of that country is taken as good to us. Otherwise, if the output was against common sense, we are likely to feel weird to the country and to have a biased view.
2 comments:
님 글을 읽으니...어제 집에 놀러 왔던 친구의 말이 떠오릅니다. 찜질방에서 찜질을 하고 내려와 사우나를 하고 있는데...갑자기 벗어 놓은 찜질복 호주머니에 넣어 두었던 휴대폰과 4만원이 생각나더랍니다. 그래서 급하게 통속에서 옷을 찾아 뒤졌는데........돈은 사라지고....휴대폰만 남아 있더라는............자기 게 아니면 손대지 말아야 하는데..........님은 세번의 경험의 경험에도 불구하고 그 같은 황당하고 불쾌함은 없었으니...정말 다행이구....도덕적으로 그런 점은 배울만 하다는 생각이 듭니다.^^
Dear a Korean friend.
There are surely those who are not honest that they tend to take money out of the wallet and throw the wallet in the trash can.
I think we were really lucky to meet someone who are all honest.
Reversely, I had hard time to solve the car accident last year because the other driver told a lie.
When I had a light car crash, the other driver claimed that it was my fault though it was the result of his careless backward.
I was really embarrassed because I've thought they are all honest and hate to tell a lie. However, it dooms that there are those who are committing fraud anywhere as long as people are living.
Post a Comment